Scandinavian Cardamom Apple Pie
February 11, 2011 § Leave a comment
This recipe is inspired by Scandinavian baking. Cardamom is a popular ingredient in the Scandinavian baking style and it also happens to be one of my most favorite spices. Apples highlight cardamom perfectly and I just love the rustic look and elegant flavor balance of this pie. Best of all, this pie has three ingredients in addition to the dough (which I usually have prepared ahead of time anyway) — it is so easy to make that you are sure to have a stress-free baking session. I love this pie for entertaining!
- 2 – 10″ pre-prepared pie crusts (you can use your favorite recipe or buy frozen crust)
- 6 cups apples (peeled, cored, and sliced) — I used 2 lbs of organic Granny Smith apples and it was the perfect amount
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tspn cardamom
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flour (for dusting pie pan)
- Butter (for buttering pie pan)
- Small amount of sugar, cardamom, and cinnamon for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine apples, cardamom, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and mix to make sure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Place bottom crust into a buttered and floured pie pan and pour spiced apple mixture into the pie crust.
- Place top crust on top and seal edges (make sure you seal them well otherwise, apple juices will bubble out).
- Cut 4-5 slits away from the center of the pie (this allows the apple juices to evaporate out) and sprinkle cinnamon, cardamom, and sugar on top of the crust.
- Cover pie with foil loosely and bake on middle rack for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes until the pie is brown and crusty. Sprinkle some more sugar on top.