Tofu Mushroom Burger
August 7, 2010 § 2 Comments
My husband and I love going to this restaurant in Laguna Beach called Taco Loco. We went to Taco Loco before we dated, while we dated, and now as a married couple for only one reason….Tofu Mushroom Burgers. We would drive for miles and miles to get one of these vegan burgers of goodness. Be careful….once you have one, you are going to need to make them at least once a week.
- Extra firm tofu
- Whole wheat hamburger buns
- Olive oil
- Hot sauce
1. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch wide pieces. Coat the tofu with a combination of chili powder, paprika, and freshly ground black pepper. Put about 1 tbsp. olive oil into a non-stick pan.
2. When the oil is hot, put tofu into the pan (2 pieces per burger) to cook. As tofu is cooking, cut the mushrooms (about 3 per burger) and put them into the pan to cook with the tofu.
3. While the tofu and mushrooms are cooking, clean the lettuce (a few pieces for each burger) and prepare the secret topping. Mix chunks of avocado and tomatoes with some hot sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. When the tofu and mushrooms are done cooking, toast the hamburger bun. Put some ketchup and mustard on the top bun (yes, you have to eat the burger with these condiments) and then cover it with the lettuce. Put the tofu on the bottom bun, then pile on the mushrooms, and then the avocado topping. Last, but not least, join the top and bottom bun together.
This vegan burger is wonderful with Trader Joe’s sweet potato fries.