Whole Wheat and Grilled Asparagus Pasta Monday
March 9, 2010 § Leave a comment
I have been eying pencil thin asparagus at the farmer’s market for the last month. It looked great, so I finally decided to buy some and create a protein rich vegetarian dish. I love grilled asparagus, so I wanted to make sure I grilled it, instead of steaming. I love the summertime feel that the grilled asparagus brings to this dinner . It reminds me that summer will be here soon enough. Enjoy.
- 1/2 bag of whole wheat fussili pasta (Trader Joe’s brand is great!)
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice (you can also add some zest if you really like lemon)
- 3 tbsp. roasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring water, for the pasta, to a boil and generously salt. While water is heating up, grill your asparagus on a grill pan over medium heat. I love to use my cast iron Le Creuset grill pan with panini press.
2. When water starts to boil, add whole wheat pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes. The pasta should still have some bite to it and should not be soggy. While pasta is cooking, turn asparagus every 2 minutes. You want the asparagus to get grill marks, but you do not want them to burn.
3. When pasta is done, drain well with a colander. Add the pasta back to the pan and add the butter, chives, Parmesan, lemon juice, pine nuts, and cottage cheese. Cut the asparagus into bit size pieces (about 2 inches long) and add to the pasta.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add more or less cottage cheese (depending on how much you like cottage cheese).
*Cottage cheese goes well with the fusilli pasta because the cheese gets stuck in the spirals. However, if you do not like cottage cheese, you can substitute it for a nice herb goat cheese.